Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Inside, Out.


As I'm sure is the case in other metro areas, what you gain in proximity to the city--and its dining, nightlife, culture, music--you lose in personal entertainment space at your home. As I recently moved [apartments], it re-occurred to me that patios, decks, and even balconies for most city dwellers are teeny-tiny-mini, and are sort of an afterthought. They weren't at the top of my list, bumped a little lower down by things like "bathtub" and "ventilation."

Still, I dream of a relaxing home entertainment area that doesn't center around my DVR, where I could potentially enjoy Fajitas and 'Ritas (yes I visualize it as a college theme party, with matching koozies and t-shirts) in the sunset. Until the day arrives where I will have my dream patio (which is a whole other topic, I assure you!), I will do as my fellow Angelenos do. Need patio?
  1. Find wealthy friend or boss with real patio.
  2. Find one attached to a restaurant, optimally with a full bar.
1. is plenty of fun, but is subject to the schedule of your wealthy friend, your boss, or your friend's wealthy boss. I've enjoyed all three, but when they aren't an option, I look for places where I feel almost at home, minus the doggie love of my life, Lily, as seen above on my patio at home in Texas. One place I frequented last year was the Loews Hotel in Santa Monica. With a super vantage point out to the pier and the ocean, but with just enough distance from the crowds, I found the Loews' pool deck to be uber-accommodating. Fat beach towels, great comfy chairs, and a perfect way to catch the sunset with a bloody mary or two. I will definitely be back this summer and I will pretend this is all mine:



Moving inland to downtown LA, I went to Caña Rum Bar for a friend's birthday party, and was drawn in from the minute I walked onto the firelit patio:
The rum drinks are delicious, and you can enjoy a cigar with your cocktail. I felt like I was sitting at a friend's place out back, complete with the wrought iron patio furniture and eclectic lighting. I believe there is now a membership fee involved, but I hadn't felt so home-y in years, funny considering I was a few blocks from the Staples center. This is the perfect bar for a night where you want to sit outside, try something new, and relax under the stars...makes me miss the wide open skies in the South.

A last one--located somewhere in-between kicking it with the bankers downtown and the surfer dudes by the beach--I discovered the other night during another birthday gathering. The Parlour Room of Hollywood had all the unpretentiousness I was hoping for, juuuust past the cluster of popular bars in Hollywood that are a pain to deal with, after parking and waiting in lines, etc. Parlour was perfectly abuzz with patrons, and I walked outside to my friend's table, set around an outdoor fire pit! I felt like I was hanging out at a classy barbeque, minus the barbeque (oh Salt Lick...someone please send me Salt Lick!), and getting in was zero hassle. They also feature $5 martinis, PBR, relatively cheap beer, and I am pretty sure I saw a guy attempt a handstand on a cocktail table. Bring your sneakers, sit by the fire, stay awhile.
I can't wait to discover more adopt-a-patio's this summer...suggestions are welcome! Friends who live in cities where having one's own patio is commonplace--never take your lawn chairs and super size grill for granted; I envy you!*

*I can't end this post without a funny thought--I went to In-N-Out for lunch today with some friends. I can go whenever I want. Apparently, while I have been coveting your Dallas backyards, YOU in Dallas have been crying about my hamburgers. I can't deal with the lady at the end of this video...