Monday, May 30, 2011

Hello, Sunshine

At the Santa Cruz boardwalk


Technically, the first day of summer this year is June 21st. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I feel like summer has begun in California. I know that my friends and family back home would place the beginning of hot, sticky nights a bit earlier in the year, but I'm feeling totally ready for this season, and this weekend was the perfect start. Allow me to pour an oaky glass of zinfandel and explain.

Photo courtesy of Gap.com


Earlier this week I picked up this dress--perfect color (it's more coral than it appears), perfect reminder of the festivities to come. I think this has potential as a workplace outfit, but I'm honestly looking forward to bringing this along on one of many getaways this summer season. Pairs well with the requisite espadrille wedges making a splash right now, no?


Even more vibrant than the colors of a summer wardrobe, in my opinion, are the ones next door at my local flower nursery. Armstrong's was a surprise discovery--this adorable shop pipes in lovely soundtrack to their gardens, which carries over into my apartment's poolside space. Every time I stretch out by the pool, I benefit from this accompaniment. I finally walked over and was blown away by the variety of flowers and plants a city dweller can bring into a living space. I will definitely need to learn a little more about what would be happy hanging out on my balcony.

Speaking of hanging out...I slowed down this Memorial Day Weekend with a trip to Santa Cruz with some friends. We stayed in a beach rental overlooking the water, and spent time experimenting with cocktails (including the new favorite, Bethenny Frankel's Skinnygirl Margarita, staged from our back porch below). We walked along the boardwalk, tasted some whiskeys, shared a homemade meal, made homemade guac, and challenged each other to a fiery game of charades that lasted well into the night. We toasted a friend's birthday, had some Mai-Tai's on the beach, and I took in a run on the sand. Never underestimate the empowerment of a run, wherever your feet are hitting the ground.



In any event, I'm happy to be home, and the next few months are sure to fly by. Bring on summer, and cheers to the places and people I'll share it with. And the GMAT studying, cheers to that too...

No comments: