Friday, May 06, 2011

HIATUS SCHMIATUS.

I am ready to write again. New title, spiffed up the layout, as new editing technologies altogether have been invented since the last time I wrote...

After my last posting--San Francisco in November 2009--I left my job in special events & nightlife and headed home for the holidays, no strings attached. I returned to LA with a lovely buzz from Christmas and New Year's in Texas, but like clockwork, reality suckerpunched me in the face the moment I walked outside at LAX. I've gotten used to it but I would never recommend that high a dosage of irate and reckless drivers, smoke, and loud noises to anyone. Regardless, I was home, and I didn't have a plan past getting in the taxi.

The way I recall it, I spent about a month or two doing some heavy interviewing and meeting with recruiters, and ended up being placed at the architecture firm where I work now. I assist a partner here with business development, and am witness to some really amazing projects. I always thought it would be fun to work at a firm like this, so I'll recognize that perhaps I've ended up exactly where I needed to be.

I'm looking back at my calendar now to remember, as it seems like such a long time ago. Over the course of 2010: I took on some consulting work for a vibrant Norwegian company, worked in a Golden Globes styling suite, enjoyed some themed bus parties, joined a gym I love, went to San Diego with some great girlfriends, took a wonderful trip to wine country and as a result joined a wine club, ran a 10k, saw a Broadway show, went to a live taping of my favorite show, saw Lady Gaga in concert, did some choreography in Virginia, went to Australia, produced a short film, saw some dear friends take their vows in marriage, took a boat to Catalina, went to Santa Cruz, went ON a cruise...so I look back with appreciation and joy at all I was able to fit in that year. Unbelievable!

Then came 2011, which so far has felt fractured and too open-ended for my taste. I find myself single, working in a new field, in a new apartment and with a renewed desire to make some sense of it. I've left it in that state until about a week ago, so I haven't felt like writing because it would've been for a lack of having any content or anything I wanted to share. It would have been a little false.

I am, however, of the strong belief that God sometimes provides us an empty canvas not to remind us of what we haven't already created, or of what we don't have (when others around us seem to have it all), but rather to see what we can do with our paint. I, for one, have taken this challenge literally by filling my life with new colors: this purse in yellow, blue pillows for my new room that remind me of vacations, and this tomato red throw blanket for a little kick. And, if you can believe it, I have scraped myself off the floor to do more than just buy things in primary colors.

I hope to bring some of my favorite city highlights to this blog, albeit not all of them completely impersonal. A little sarcasm here and a little feigned interest there will add up to a savory collection, full of texture, I just know it! Friends, as the renewed goal of my writing is to expound on the parts of this city (and other cities) that I incorporate into my own home, I will do my utmost to make it great time for the senses.

No comments: